PAN Card bearing the Permanent Account Number supplied by the Income Tax department is a document which is an Identity document with a photograph of the Indian Citizen. This card is obtainable by both resident and non-resident Indian citizens.
Although while applying for PAN, one have to give the correct details, but sometimes pan card correction may be required in the PAN Card due to change of residence, for which there is a PAN Change request form.
There may also arise occasions when the name of the PAN holder needs to be changed. This could be due to many reasons such as change of marital status for ladies, change of religion and the name changed because of it, name change as per the initiative of an individual due to many reasons including astrological or numerological faiths. In all these cases, the name change can be made by using PAN Card name change form, however name change must first be established by the legal process that has been governing name change.
Legal Process for Name change
The legal process for name change would involve the following steps:
- Making an affidavit
- Making a newspaper publication about the proposal to change
- Getting a Gazette notification by submitting the above to the appropriate authorities.
For making a name change in the PAN Card, this Gazette notification forms an important document, without which name change in the PAN Card will not be possible.
Name Change in PAN Card
For getting the name changed in the PAN card, one should follow the steps given below:
- Making an application for the change in PAN data, which can either be done online or by acquiring a PAN Card Name Change Form.
- Filling up the form, carefully furnishing all details required mandatorily, besides the Name Change.
- Attaching a recently taken color photograph of the individual with 3.5cm x 2.5cm size with a plain background.
- Proof of PAN that is the currently held card. In case, the current card is lost or the information on IT departments’ intimation on issue of PAN is not available, a copy of FIR from Police is required.
- Payment of the required fee.
The applicant should keep ready the affidavit for name change, newspaper publication and the Gazette notification issued on the name change for producing along with the application.
These are all for individuals. For artificial persons like Partnerships, Companies etc, appropriate documents certifying the change of name must be submitted.
Submitting the request
There are authorized Agencies for servicing PAN Card issue or pan card correction, to whom the application and documents can be submitted. Alternatively, the documents can be sent to
INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016, Maharashtra State
Makingapplications for PAN card corrections is also possible online, however, print out of the acknowledgement with photographs affixed must be sent to the above agency.